permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Seed Savers Exchange, What should be done- My opinion.

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: LINDARAY@att.net
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Seed Savers Exchange, What should be done- My opinion.
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 05:44:50 +0000

Whoa, I have *loads* of seeds from years past- OK, I'll watch for your ready
signal :)..

Stay well,

Linda :)

-------------- Original message from "Lawrence F. London, Jr."
<lflj@intrex.net>: --------------

Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2008 22:19:51 -0800
From: Marshall Chrostowski <mcfarm@silcom.com>
To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
Subject: Re: [permaculture] Seed Savers Exchange

I have been a member and former listed (growing) member of SSE for over
20 years. I am as upset as anyone on the list and have already written
the Board of Directors requesting clarification and their immediate
resignations. As yet, we don't seem to know the motive(s) behind Kent's
firing and changes in the by-laws. I do suspect at least 3 activities of
the SSE and Kent Whealy that would bring the weight of agribusiness
against the SSE:

1. Kent has been a voracious and vocal critic of genetic modification of
crops and animals, both in the 3 seasonal publications for the members
and in lectures and other public venues. Many powerful business and
government entities have been offended by this campaign.

2. In order to defend heirloom and traditional food plants against
commercialization and strict patenting, the SSE have been documenting
and "open patenting" the collection. Commercial plant breeders may
arrange access to the SSE collection but cannot use the unique genetic
materials in restrictive commercial patents. These old and unique
varieties are the patri-matri-mony of all peoples. Commerical interests
would like nothing better than reduce variety of vegetables and fruit to
a limited list, supplemented annually with new and improved hybrid
varieties.

3. SSE practices living conservation of genetic resources with a
rigorous program of rotating growouts. The USDA and other governmental
agencies have been expanding germplasm banks held at very low
temperatures. It was been SSE's experience that such germplasm storage
systems do not protect living matter for advertised durations.

I urge no campaign to cripple the Seed Savers Exchange. Nor do I
recommend a widespread and disbursed seed saving effort to surplant the
SSE, especially one involving ill-trained and ill-equiped folks of good
heart but limited experience and time. The SSE plant collection has in
excess of 20,000 unique seeds or other propagation materials from all
over the world. Fewer than a tenth is grown out by listed grower members
of SSE who reoffer seed and other parts annually.

Thanks for supporting the Seed Savers Exchange and Kent Whealy.

PS Kent and Diane have been divorced for some years now.

Marshall Chrostowski
Santa Barbara, CA