permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Pond construction

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Stella <stella@finca-luna.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Pond construction
  • Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 13:44:47 +0100

this might be the glay method is described in Nacy Jack Todd & John Todd's brilliant book "From EcoCities to Living Machines

they say it worked in very porous coralline island soils ... the 'glay' (glue-clay, a kind of organic clay) is formed by alternate layers of biomass (rich in nitrogen and not, like cardboard/straw then green leaf, like in layer composting ...) then put under pressure in anaerobic conditions (ie. under water, but I think firstly with a plastic film to accelerate the process) .. another observation of how natural ponds are formed... which usually take years if not decades to form

the general idea is that leaves fall in a hollow, then rot as water accumulates over them, then green stuff grows in spring, then more water kills it off... more dry leaves, etc ... until this natural impermeable 'glay' forms.

sorry I dont remember the details but highly recomend that book