permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Pond construction

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Vital Scherrer" <vital233@hotmail.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Pond construction
  • Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 11:43:36 +0000

Thanks Carol and Stella!
I'm afraid my subsoil doesn't have enough percentage of clay - according to the source mentioned below: "...the soil must have a 15% or higher clay content and 20-100% passing the #200 sieve." - nor is there any available as a liner.
It sounds like Sepp's method is at least as labour-intensive as to use a plastic liner.
I found quiet good information at "www.oneplan.org/Stock/wasteFac/manual4.shtml", where besides the soil and its moisture requirements, the best equipment for compaction is mentioned. The only one that I have seen around here is a smooth-drum-vibratory-roller.
Though, as I am in doubt about the suitability of the soil, I probably better get some pigs and let them have a go at it. I guess if they can't do it, then I will have to forget about it or consider an artificial waterproofing.
The method with the liner of soft organic material, which is covered with soil to turn into a water proofing slimy layer is not applicable either, as there is not enough such suitable material around here.
About 15 years ago I helped Bill Mollison as a wwoofer at his place in Tyalgum. As far as I remember, the soil there was similar to the one I have, reddish of volcanic origin. Does anybody know how he built his ponds? (I'm sorry that I didn't ask him, but he spoke such a pronounced dialect, that I had too often difficulties to understand him.)
Regards
Vital