permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Pond construction

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: DGilsen@aol.com
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Pond construction
  • Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2007 00:01:22 EST

Making a pond is no big deal ...... unless you don't have the right stuff.
first dig a hole. then you tamp the earth with a mechanical tamper. the
hand tampers are too slow and don't tamp hard enough to compact the soil.
If
you have a hard red clay like we used to have the sides and bottom of the
pond
will with lots of pounding become impervious to water and then add water and
go from there.
The red clay is the key to the pond holding water. Now I live out in
the desert and a thick clay called adobe can be used. You soak the ground
and
make a thick mud , smear it on the chicken wire lined hole thickly, when it
is almost dry you pound it with a rented tamper till the walls are smooth
and
almost polished looking.let it dry and wait sever weeks and voila you have a
pond. You must make a dock or steps because the bottom and sides when long
wet can be caused to leak if you poke a hole in the soften mud. there used
be people who sold the impervious clay to line ponds. Or you can take the
easy way out and line your pond with a very thick impervious cement or a
very
heavy pond plastic liner all of these work, and are ok. If you are a purest
look around for a farm agent from the local state or local university for
free info. Hope this helps.
Carol

products.