permaculture - Re: [permaculture] A permaculture childrens book

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Raymond Cirirno <permaquest@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] A permaculture childrens book
  • Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2007 11:50:04 -0800 (PST)

Dear Roman,
I have the perfect title and idea for the first book. When children hear
about a problem that comes up, they will remember what to do, because the
name of the book and the character is the problem. It's kinda like the
problem is the solution. The children will remember how to deal with it as
our society puts scare into it. Water will be the first subject we work on.
If anyone wants to insert, please let us know. I do have a strong network of
teachers, but the focus is to transfer the beauty of permaculture into art
that hasn't been associated with it yet. Imagination and creativity that
permaculture needs as much as we need permaculture. Especially when things
get hard we can look at a artsy structure and laugh our heads off to keep us
all positive.
Great connections,
Ray

Primal Parent <primalparent@hotmail.com> wrote:

Ray,

your idea sounds great. i look forward to seeing how it evolves into a book.
i myself have been working off-and-on on a children's book about pc. the
biggest obstacle i found is which age range should i focus on. teenagers can
understand more of the complex ecological terms but i personally fond that
it's the younger ones who like to help out more in the garden. so my
challenge has been basically "should i make it a story book or a science
book?"

there are a few books out there for adults that have a chapter or two about
working with children (food not lawns, food forest) but there's very little
written specifically for kids.

the only exception i know of are zines: burnett's 'our allotment' and
"permaculture beginners guide' (which is not specifically for kids but simple
enough that older kids can read it) and 'the abc's of permaculture' coloring
book (cataplasm press) that has pc terms and edible/medicinal plants for each
letter (i.e. c = comfrey, chicken tractor, chamomile, compost, companion
planting) that way parents can help explain the terminology.

best of luck with that much-needed work.

please keep the listserve updated.

-Roman

p.s. - below is a post of mine on greenschooling from this summer. it might
have some helpful links:
first off, sorry for any redundancies and for the delay but here are what i
consider the most pc-relevant links for schooling:

the one thing i recommend above all other is getting carolyn nuttal's food
forest and food forest resource sheets. they are excellent. i think they
were both under $40 including shipping from australia. she's doing a lot
with "learnscaping"

robin clayfield's manual for teaching permaculture creatively has a chapter
on teaching children through games and active involvement. wonderful stuff.
http://www.earthcare.com.au/edu/

heather coburn flores book 'food not lawns' (chelse green) has a chapter
called 'the next generation' with tips and ideas for working with kids.
she'd doing some kick-ass work and we should all support her

in the same vein i also recommend sharon lovejoys 'sunflower houses' and
'roots, shoot, buckets, & boots'. though not technically "permaculture"
there both a lot of fun.

patty parks-wasserman is working on the institute of permaculture education
for children at 78 el rey drive corrales, n.m.
patty has been very supportive of the childrens permaculture resource
network and i look forward to working with her in the future.

robina mccurdy ran the (now defunct) childrens permaculture foundation from
1989-1994
i believe she wrote a small article on 'pc for children' in the vol.3 #1
feb. 87 issue of permaculture activist (which i believe is still available).
i think she's doing more ecovillage-community oriented work nowadays

salli ramsden and tania strebl presented 'zone c: a place for children' at
he 6th ipc. supposedly salli was working on a comprehensive list of
publications suitable for pc in schools.
http://www.rosneath.com.au/ipc6/ch05/ramsden/index.html

i believe joanne tippett has done some work in this area. holocene.net

jacqui hunter might be of some help as well huntergd@chariot.net.au

fiona campbell and ross grayson compiled the amazing 'permaculture goes to
school..." in 1997. i'd be more than glad to send you a copy.

dr. charlie headington wrote teaching permaculture in a school garden.
interesting montessori experiment.

robin c. moore wrote 'children gardening:first steps toward a sustainable
future' robin does a lot of work with landscape architecture and childhood
development.

some past discussions archived:
pc in schools -
https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/permaculture/2006-January/022836.html
curriculum for children -
https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/permaculture/2002-July/015300.html
workbook for children -
https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/permaculture/2006-December/025475.html

gardening with children has some useful links
http://www.canh.asn.au/community_gardening/sa-cgkit-Gardenin.html

edible schoolyard in berkely, ca http://www.edibleschoolyard.org/garden.html

specifically for kids:

elpels 'shanleyas quest' is sort of a 'botany in a day' for young readers.
wonderful. available from hollowtop.com

graham burnett drew a brilliant little zine called 'our allotment'. i make
copies and hand them out to random kids whenever we go to festivals and
fairs. you can find it at http://www.spiralseed.co.uk/

april's got three stories for children on her front page at
http://permaculturevisions.com/

lost valley education center in oregon hosted a kids permaculture day camp
in 2006. worth looking into

here is a website called Perma-Kidz. some neat stuff kids might like.
http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/Jungle/6700/permakid.html