permaculture - Re: [permaculture] English ivy on site of future forest garden

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Keith Johnson <keithdj@mindspring.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] English ivy on site of future forest garden
  • Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 16:19:47 -0500

Mathew,
When I lived near Asheville, NC, the ecovillage I lived in forbade the planting of ivy, because of its opportunistic ways. I dealt with plenty of it on the west coast where landscapers considered it a "money plant", meaning that if a client had ivy there was a guaranteed income in regularly cutting it back or removing it. It was also a favored habitat for escargot and banana slugs.

I found that to control it, I had to remove the generally shallow roots (rarely below 6 inches unless huge) or it would immediately come right back. To prevent it from reseeding, it pays to kill it off in the tree canopy (where birds will eat and spread it's seeds) by severing it from its roots. The vines in the canopy will then die...and not make seed to feed Cedar Waxwing, Northern Robin, Stellar Jay, Mockingbird, European Starling, and House Sparrow. Of course, be sure to watch for poison ivy growing amidst it.

Pigs of course will make short work of it if they're confined to an infested area long enough to root it out, but be cautious of toxic effects. Goats, sheep, elk, and deer will eat it but I think it is not a preferred food...plus they eat just the leaves and not the vines. I read that 300 goats / acre will eliminate it....that's a lotta goats!

Suppression, by weed-wacking, aggressive mowing / grazing, followed immediately with heavy plastic mulch can kill it off or at least heavily suppress it to near the edges of the plastic. Persistence and vigilance are key words, here. Work from a controlled front.

Running it through a chipper can reduce it enough to compost it safely.

Some folks use glyphosate / Roundup to suppress it, but I wouldn't recommend it.

I've heard that strong vinegar (stronger than you buy at the grocery store) sprayed on it will knock it back, too, though I'd be surprised if that KILLED it.

Use caution with the prunings as they can re-root. I like to leave them on the driveway until crispy and then mulch with them, whereupon they rot nicely.

A comparable pernicious vine prevalent locally (Indiana) is Euonymus radicans (common winter creeper) which shares the same habits as ivy.

Both are ruinous when grown on fences or wooden structures as they can literally pry boards apart. A brick structure, on the other hand, will actually benefit and last longer with these vines growing on them.

<http://www.noivyleague.com/Pages/ivycide_clues.html>I found some Powerpoint slide shows about ivy control at the "No Ivy League <http://www.noivyleague.com/>" website as follows:

Click here <http://www.noivyleague.com/PowerPoint/Web_Part_1_Project_copy.ppt> for the section about the project and its history.

Cllick here <http://www.noivyleague.com/PowerPoint/Web_Part_2_Ivy_copy.ppt> for the section about the problems with ivy.

Click here <http://www.noivyleague.com/PowerPoint/Web_Part_3_Methods_copy.ppt> for the section with information about ivy removal methods and elucidation on how to practice "De Vine intervention ".

Good luck,
Keith

--
Keith Johnson
"Be fruitful and mulch apply."
Permaculture Activist Magazine
PO Box 5516, Bloomington, IN 47407
(812) 335-0383
http://www.permacultureactivist.net
Impeachment: It's not just for blowjobs anymore.
Switch to Solar Power the Easy Way
http://www.jointhesolution.com/KeithJ-SunPower
http://www.PowUr.com/KeithJ-SunPower
Blog: http://kjpermaculture.blogspot.com/
http://www.permacultureactivist.net/design/Designconsult.html
http://www.ARCulture.org
also APPLE-Bloomington (Alliance for a Post-Petroleum Local Economy) It's a
small world after oil.
also Bloomington Permaculture Guild