permaculture - [permaculture] English ivy on site of future forest garden

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Mathew Waehner" <waehner@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] English ivy on site of future forest garden
  • Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 10:55:28 -0500

I have just cleared out some shrubs and saplings from the site that will be
my forest garden, leaving just a few large maples and a nice open canopy. The
only problem is that there is English ivy everywhere. I've cut it down from
the trees and it blankets the ground.

My plan is to very shallowly hand till a small area, removing as much ivy as
I can, then scattering seeds of something that will grow fast enough to
shade out the ivy that will inevitably spring up.

Any suggestions for plants that will spring up quickly from seed and grow in
partial shade? I am more interested in building soil than growing food at
this point.

I would appreciate any other suggestions for dealing with ivy, and any
insights into the ecology of the ivy.

Thanks!

Matt Waehner