permaculture - [permaculture] phpBB and what was the Permaculture geeks mailing list address?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Keith Johnson <keithdj@mindspring.com>
  • To: Permaculture ibiblio <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] phpBB and what was the Permaculture geeks mailing list address?
  • Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 12:52:50 -0400

A couple years ago there was a mailing list for permaculture geeky folk but I lost track of it. Anybody remember?

I put a poll on the website asking for recommendations.
Consistently people asked for a forum.

So, I downloaded phpBB ("the most widely-used bulletin board package in the world"), unzipped it, and uploaded it with Dreamweaver MX's FTP.

The directions in the online manual said:

decompress the phpBB 2.0 archive to a local directory on your
system. From there you must FTP all the files it contains (being
sure to retain the directory structure) to your host. All .php,
.inc, .sql, .cfg, .htm and .tpl files should be uploaded in ASCII
mode, while all graphics should use binary mode.

I didn't know what binary and ASCI meant so I looked it up and was informed that:

Dreamweaver 3 and higher transfer files in ASCII or binary mode
automatically, depending on the file type.

So, no problem, I thought. I followed these instructions:

Once all the files have been uploaded to your site you should point
your browser to this location, eg. http://www.mysite.tld/phpBB2

OK, did that and got the following:

Firefox can't find the server at www.permacultureactivist.net.tld.

A little further down the manual page was:

Before proceeding with installation you should ensure you have a
database available.

I said, Huh? WTF does that mean? I then learned that my web hosting service doesn't provide MySQL database support unless I pay an extra $10 a month. (I'm basically working with NO budget here.)

So I tried the previous procedure with another webhost that includes MySQL support for a different site and got the same "Firefox can't find the server".

I may need to study some books. Any recommendations?

Thanks,
Keith

--
Keith Johnson
"Be fruitful and mulch apply."
Permaculture Activist Magazine
PO Box 5516, Bloomington, IN 47408
(812) 335-0383
http://www.permacultureactivist.net
Impeachment: It's not just for blowjobs anymore.
Switch to Solar Power the Easy Way
http://www.jointhesolution.com/KeithJ-SunPower
http://www.PowUr.com/KeithJ-SunPower
Blog: http://kjpermaculture.blogspot.com/
http://www.permacultureactivist.net/design/Designconsult.html
also APPLE-Bloomington (Alliance for a Post-Petroleum Local Economy) It's a
small world after oil.
also Bloomington Permaculture Guild