permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Ecopsychology and Permaculture

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: lbsaltzman@aol.com
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org, lbuzzell@aol.com
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Ecopsychology and Permaculture
  • Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 20:30:13 -0400

I think that Permaculture is deeply connected to ecopsychology and
ecotherapy. Living a more natural lifestyle, growing one's own food etc.?are
very therapeutic. I frequently take people for walks in our forest garden and
watch the looks of delight on people's face when they can pluck a fresh fruit
from a tree, or taste a vegetable picked from the ground.? If eco-psychology
is about understanding humanities connections to nature, and eco-psychology
is about healings our relationship with nature, then Permaculture has a lot
to offer.?

For awhile eco-psychology was confused with nature retreats. There is nothing
wrong with nature retreats, but the missing link was teaching people that we
live, and thrive?because of our interactions with nature.?Our ability to
feed, cloth, warm, and house ourselves from nature's rich yields deepens our
connection with nature.? It is not enough to merely meditate in nature,
though that has value, we must be?awakened to our deep interdependencies with
the nature.??By incorporating Permaculture into our life that awareness is
simply an intangible yield that Permaculture has to offer.

Larry Saltzman