permaculture - Re: [permaculture] hazelnuts make good gruel

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lisa Rollens" <rollens@fidnet.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] hazelnuts make good gruel
  • Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 22:10:24 -0500

Hey Roxann,

I probably planted the hazelnuts in too much shade. I put them near the house so I could beat the wild animals to them! Since I planted them tho, I discovered a large patch of them at the top of one of my hills out in the full sun. It's been so terribly dry for the last 2 years that I didn't see many nuts. and this year, of course, the Easter week freeze that ruined everything. The main thing I noticed was that the plants were fine in spite of the droughts and even being on top of a rocky hill and in the full sun. I may move the ones I planted to a sunnier site in the yard as soon as I finish digging out the Bermuda grass. They will probably grow better with a little more water, too!!

Lisa

----- Original Message ----- From: "roxann" <roxann@ancientearthwisdom.com>