permaculture - Re: [permaculture] hazelnuts make good gruel

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflj@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] hazelnuts make good gruel
  • Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 15:33:25 -0400

Rain Tenaqiya wrote:

Recently, however, I have discovered the joys of hazelnut
(filbert, cobb nut) mush. Simply take a couple handfuls of nuts, put them in a blender with some water for about 20 seconds,
then boil for two to five minutes, adding fruit (Asian pears and persimmons are good this time of year) and a little honey, plus a pinch of salt.
The result is amazingly creamy, hearty, and delicious, much better than oatmeal or wheat-based gruels. You don't even have to add soymilk or whatever.
Walnuts are too dense for this kind of treatment, but I can eat a lot of
hazelnuts this way.
Hazelnuts are 13% protein, 61% fat, and are high in Ca, Cu, Mg, Mn, B
vitamins, and vitamin E.

Another easy and effective way to process nuts (without cooking them & losing valuable heat-intolerant oils) to make cereals of acceptable texture is to grind them in a hand crank grain mill with steel burs. The Corona mill is perfect for this and you can clamp it to a tabletop. For larger nuts you may need to run them through twice to get particle size down. Mush can be created this way. Try sesame and you get an oily mush. Hazelnuts can be turned into mush too, without cooking.

--
Lawrence F. London, Jr.
lflj@intrex.net