permaculture - [permaculture] hazelnuts make good gruel

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Rain Tenaqiya <raincascadia@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] hazelnuts make good gruel
  • Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 11:32:20 -0700 (PDT)

I have always had a problem finding permaculture-consistent breakfasts that I
could enjoy as a regular breakfast. My usual breakfast is a smoothy made of
walnuts and whatever fruit is in season, usually with an orange included.
Sometimes I just have some pistachios and a piece of fruit. Recently,
however, I have discovered the joys of hazelnut (filbert, cobb nut) mush.
Simply take a couple handfuls of nuts, put them in a blender with some water
for about 20 seconds, then boil for two to five minutes, adding fruit (Asian
pears and persimmons are good this time of year) and a little honey, plus a
pinch of salt. The result is amazingly creamy, hearty, and delicious, much
better than oatmeal or wheat-based gruels. You don't even have to add
soymilk or whatever. Walnuts are too dense for this kind of treatment, but I
can eat a lot of hazelnuts this way. Hazelnuts are 13% protein, 61% fat, and
are high in Ca, Cu, Mg, Mn, B vitamins, and vitamin E.

Enjoy,

Rain

Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.