permaculture - Re: [permaculture] hazelnuts make good gruel

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "roxann" <roxann@ancientearthwisdom.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] hazelnuts make good gruel
  • Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 22:23:18 +0000

lisa, i have some hazels of some sort - have never seen flowers or fruit on
them, but am judging by the leaf and form of the tree. they're way out on the
west side of the mountain and i don't get out there often enough to keep
track. i've heard that in the wild the animals will eat the nuts faster than
you can find them, so maybe that's what's happening to them? i want to plant
some closer to my house so i can get to them before the squirrels, if that's
what eats them. someone from central ar gave me some bushes, but last year's
drought killed them for me. i didn't have them planted out, though, and i'm
hoping they will do better in the ground than they did in the pots. i think
they like to be near water, so i will plant them along my creek or pond. are
the ones you planted not making nuts either?

roxann, nw ar