permaculture - Re: [permaculture] alternative fuels for cooking

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Toby Hemenway <toby@patternliteracy.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] alternative fuels for cooking
  • Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 11:26:00 -0700

Friends who worked for the Peace Corps in Africa (I forget just where) brought simple mylar and cardboard solar cookers to several villages and taught people how to use them. They came back a year later and couldn't find any of the cookers, and everyone still cooked with wood. Finally one of the locals, who'd been reluctant to hurt their feelings, pointed out the shiny jewelry and the bits of mirror embroidered into much of the clothing. They'd found a more culturally appropriate use for the reflectors.

Toby
http://patternliteracy.com

Scott Pittman wrote:

While solar ovens are a good and proven technology I have yet to convince
any culture (including our own) to use them instead of wood or manure.