permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Healing Hawk doesn't do enough observation

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Healing Hawk" <healinghawk@earthlink.net>
  • To: "'permaculture'" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Healing Hawk doesn't do enough observation
  • Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2007 20:04:14 -0500

Again, I apologize. I was wrong about wood burning contributing to global
warming. It contributes to air pollution, not to global warming.

Air quality issues are why Holmgren talks about training firewood users,
designing better stoves, and using sustainably produced charcoal instead of
wood.

But I am totally wrong about greenhouse gasses, and I admit it.

That part of the carbon cycle is a wash. It's going to happen if a tree
does anything but continuing to grow, keeping its carbon sequestered. For
my own ethical reasons that I'm not going to push, now that I know what they
are, I'm not going to use wood to heat or cook, but it sounds like a good
idea to do something positive about global warming by replacing fossil
fuels, and if the air quality issues are mitigated by users it sounds to me
like it's environmentally groovy.

Tommy Tolson
Austin, TX