permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Apology

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Kate Halstead" <rockyprairie@earthlink.net>
  • To: "'permaculture'" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Apology
  • Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2007 17:43:31 -0700

Obviously I don't understand this whole concept...how does one live/eat
without killing or taking something that belongs to another? [I don't think
humans have the corner on that dilemma.] Or are trees a higher life-form
than all other entities on the planet and therefore more deserving of a
'don't touch' status than, say a beet or a blueberry bush?

I too, have listened to trees, other plants, and animals but they've always
told me that if I ask respectfully for permission before taking
fruit/wood/nuts from the tree, netting the fish, breaking the egg, or
cutting the head of broccoli, (and permission is granted), the
taking/killing becomes part of the cycle of life...and also means I must
give something to the planet in return. I've never heard them say I could
not touch them in any way to benefit my being or that of those around me.

I've also heard a tree sigh with great relief after we cut another one down
that had been blown against it in a storm and threatened to take down it and
a number of other trees with the next good blow. I'm convinced the tree
being cut knew that it was being sacrificed for the greater good of the
other trees nearby and therefore granted us permission to take it down and
put it to another use.

Kate