permaculture - Re: [permaculture] FW: children being exposed to permaculture etc.

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "roxann" <roxann@ancientearthwisdom.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] FW: children being exposed to permaculture etc.
  • Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2007 20:46:55 +0000

My children are getting exposure to permaculture in some ways, I think. The
main area where we are working with nature is with our water supply. Our
water comes from 2 springs and during the dry months we have to be extra
cautious about our usage. Before we moved here, there was never any thought
about our water and how it is NOT an endless resource. Our water came from a
well then, and seemed to be on tap with no end in sight. There was never a
thought about how much we used at all. Now we have a very limited supply, but
we are also using a gravity feed system, so we have the pleasure of running
water with or without electricity.

We are developing a system to use gray water to flush our toilet and irrigate
our gardens, and a cascading pond system to further clean the water that
leaves our septic system. I work in an environmental lab, so I can check our
effectiveness at removing pollutants as often as needed. As a family, we have
learned a lot about our impact on the water and how easily it can be
contaminated and how hard it is to clean.

My daughter recently used her horse to go to the nearest town, it took 3
hours and the town is only 16 miles away - 6 miles of it fairly rugged dirt
road. This was an eye-opening experience for her :)

Roxann, NW AR