permaculture - Re: [permaculture] mosquito control

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Katey <newtribe@hughes.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] mosquito control
  • Date: Sun, 02 Sep 2007 17:43:36 -0500

I got rid of my fish (they weren't for eating) because, although they ate the mosquito eggs, they ate the frog eggs. The frogs were more important to my ecosystem. I have sweet flag (Calamus) in my ponds for mosquito control as well as the frogs.

Katey Culver

Charles de Matas wrote:
All of the permaculturists I visited since I took the PDC earlier this year have ponds (large and small) and they've told me that the fish they keep help to control mosquitoes. I am thinking of putting in a few tub ponds around my house to keep guppies. Before I do this I want to check with my learned friends on this list if they have had good results at controlling mosquitoes with fish like guppies, or mosquito fish (gambusia, which are more common in the southern US)? If this is really effective it would make life much more comfortable for me here in the tropics.

Charles
Trinidad