permaculture - Re: [permaculture] mosquito control

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Keith Johnson <keithdj@mindspring.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] mosquito control
  • Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2007 09:09:48 -0400

I've worked with gambusia for about 20 years in Ca and the south east. The principle eaters of frog and toad eggs were salamanders. I thought this a good thing as there were always more than enough eggs to go around. The gambusia, though great in numbers, didn't seem to make a difference in the populations of amphibians, but quite decimated the mosquito population. I observed that the gambusia more often got into the eggs and became entangled and died. Also when I had mosquitoes in rain barrels, they all disappeared when the frog eggs hatched. Tadpoles love mosquito eggs and larvae. I also grow Acorus calamus.
Keith

Katey wrote:
I got rid of my fish (they weren't for eating) because, although they ate the mosquito eggs, they ate the frog eggs. The frogs were more important to my ecosystem. I have sweet flag (Calamus) in my ponds for mosquito control as well as the frogs.

Katey Culver

Charles de Matas wrote:
All of the permaculturists I visited since I took the PDC earlier this year have ponds (large and small) and they've told me that the fish they keep help to control mosquitoes. I am thinking of putting in a few tub ponds around my house to keep guppies. Before I do this I want to check with my learned friends on this list if they have had good results at controlling mosquitoes with fish like guppies, or mosquito fish (gambusia, which are more common in the southern US)? If this is really effective it would make life much more comfortable for me here in the tropics.

Charles
Trinidad
--
Keith Johnson
"Be fruitful and mulch apply."
Permaculture Activist Magazine
PO Box 5516, Bloomington, IN 47408
(812) 335-0383
http://www.permacultureactivist.net
Impeachment: It's not just for blowjobs anymore.
Switch to Solar Power the Easy Way
http://www.jointhesolution.com/KeithJ-SunPower
http://www.PowUr.com/KeithJ-SunPower
Blog: http://kjpermaculture.blogspot.com/
http://www.permacultureactivist.net/design/Designconsult.html
also APPLE-Bloomington (Alliance for a Post-Petroleum Local Economy) It's a
small world after oil.
also Bloomington Permaculture Guild