permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Tips and tricks for web pages (and blogs)?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflj@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Tips and tricks for web pages (and blogs)?
  • Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 22:08:30 -0400

Steve Diver wrote:

A brief segue back to managing PC info on the web....

It's been a few years since I've managed web pages
regularly and at the time DreamWeaver was King.
Wikis, Content Management software, and Blogs have since entered the scene to simplify web pages, at least
it seems that way.

They certainly don't simplify them but do offer different important features.

WordPress came to my attention, an Open Source platform
http://wordpress.org

It even has a directory web-design themes http://wordpress.org/extend/themes/
Got any comments on WordPress or other platforms to check out?

That is the preferred Blog app for many content providers on ibiblio; they support it and make it easy for you to install it. Highly recommended. A CMS is another order of magnitude and is more work to install. I think the popular Drupal is one of those, also used widely on ibiblio. PM Wiki is a great wiki app and should be somewhat easier to install than the ones requiring a MySQL database; it uses PHP.

Instead of Dreamweaver just use a good text editor and write your own html
code and keep it simple and portable.
HTML2 offers many new important resources and may involve a learning curve
worth doing when you need to.
--
Lawrence F. London, Jr.
lflj@intrex.net