permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Tips and tricks for web pages (and blogs)?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Massimo Valle <massimo@maxvalle.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Tips and tricks for web pages (and blogs)?
  • Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 09:25:42 +0200

On 24/ago/07, at 00:33, Steve Diver wrote:

A brief segue back to managing PC info on the web....

It's been a few years since I've managed web pages
regularly and at the time DreamWeaver was King.

Dreamweaver is still the king.
Some months ago Adobe acquired Macromedia and they have choosen to kill GoLive and keep Dreamweaver. For the same reason they killed Freehand and kept Illustrator.

Wikis, Content Management software, and Blogs have since
entered the scene to simplify web pages, at least
it seems that way.

WordPress came to my attention, an Open Source platform
http://wordpress.org

It even has a directory web-design themes
http://wordpress.org/extend/themes/

Got any comments on WordPress or other platforms to check out?

Well, wikis, CMS and blogs are different tools for different uses. It mainly depends on what you intend to do.
Anyway, WordPress is certainly the best platform for professional blogging. However, if you only need a simple blog you can try Blogger (http://www.blogger.com/). It permits to set up a blog in minutes and it's highly customizable.

With CMS you can build a dynamic web site with a collaborative approach. Much complex and rich than a simple blog.
Some of the best tools around are:
http://www.geeklog.net/
http://www.joomla.com/
http://www.mambo-foundation.org/
http://plone.org/
http://www.zimbra.com/

Wikis are another approach. I love the wiki philosophy, however I think this is best suited for building online references or documentation about a defined topic. There are different tools for managing Wikis, however the mother of all is MediaWiki (http:// www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki), the one used by (and built for) Wikipedia.

Massimo Valle