permaculture - Re: [permaculture] easy way each of us can reduce pesticide use by the ton

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "paul wheaton" <paul@richsoil.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] easy way each of us can reduce pesticide use by the ton
  • Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 10:43:57 -0700

> Let's teach people the benefits of having no or a tiny bit of lawn. If they
> don't want to, tell them about the impending (year tba) oil crash Armageddon
> and that they'll have to or live miserably, if not hungry as the rest of
> their friends will grow food on their lands.

I think this is a good thing. And while I have not written an article
expressing that, I have said as much in many forums.

I also think that the road to healing the earth is going to be
evolutionary, not revolutionary.

That's why I think the USDA organic program should be modified to be a
scale of 0 to 10. Organic 5 can be what is currently labeled organic.
Organic 8 could be something that is organic + permaculture.

This way, farms and farmers can ramp up to organic - instead of having
to, from their perspective, make a big leap. And consumers can also
ramp into knowledge about organic - right now, most american consumers
are certain that the "organic movement" is a pile of horse potatoes.
All marketing slight of hand and no true substance. At the same
time, many of them are willing to pay a bit more for "premium"
products.

Back to lawns: Yes, it is painful to see somebody mowing an acre of
grass every week. It would be great to see a forest garden there
instead. But while they are lawn crazy - maybe they can at least be
lawn crazy without the chemicals.