permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Greywater

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "L. Santoyo Designs" <santoyo@earthflow.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Greywater
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 15:13:05 -0700

Hello Chauncey,

There are, of course, lots of regulations in and around Malibu for Greywater use. My friend, Cameron Church of EPD Consulting (Los Angeles), is a great designer and would have the latest info and products. http://www.epd-net.com/

-Legalize Sustainability !!!

Of course, Art Ludwig's website Oasis Designs is THE place to go for practical low tech info on GreyWater. http://www.oasisdesign.net/

For a single-occupant trailer I wouldn't mess around or waste time with a constructed wetland (your sand and gravel system) -Hypothetically, I would just put a small surge tank (after your sink trap ) and use a flexible inch and a quarter hose. Just move it around under the mulch of your the garden trees and ground covers (-remember to stay away from watering any Oaks in the summer time!).

If you come up to the Ranch sometime -you can see our tiny wetland system with taro, ginger, celery and water chestnuts etc...

FYI -There is another notable system in your area -a permitted Black Water system! designed by Bill Wilson -it's the only one I know of and it grows a great orchard... It will be one of our featured field trips at our upcoming Design Course...

good luck,

Larry

L.Santoyo, Director
EarthFlow Design Works
<http://earthflow.com>http://earthflow.com

Hey -Please Join Us -Please Pass the Word!

The 5th Annual Los Angeles Permaculture Design Course
<http://earthflow.com/LAPDC0708.php>http://earthflow.com/LAPDC0708.php

Live & Learn Sustainable Design -in the South of France!
<http://earthflow.com/france2007.php>http://earthflow.com/france2007.php

I am doing a green remodel of an Airstream travel trailer I have been staying in in the hills of Malibu, CA. It is located in a Mediterranean Climate, Zone 10 I believe, dry summers and only slightly wetter winters.

Part of the project will be running the water used in the trailer for the sink and shower out into a greywater system. I would like to run the water from the trailer to a bed of plants, but should I have the water get filtered first through some sand and gravel? Can plants be growing in the sand and gravel? What sort of plants would work well for filtering the water in my climate? Any other bits of advice to throw in?

Thanks for all the help in advance. Have a great day.

Chauncey