permaculture - Re: [permaculture] permaculture Digest, Vol 54, Issue 28

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Eugene Monaco" <efmonaco@comcast.net>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] permaculture Digest, Vol 54, Issue 28
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 12:48:02 -0400

I don't agree with Toby's assessment of rural land crashing, although it's
possible if landowners are highly leveraged with debt they can't pay off.
My experience is that it totally depends on how far out of harm's way you
are.

It's funny that the biggest speculation in housing and build up of new
units, be they subdivisions or condos, is in the coastal regions. Places
like Palm Beach, FL have lots of high priced houses that folks finance with
interest only loans--where you never pay down the principle. They do this
in hopes of flipping for a capital gain in the near future. It is in these
types of places where the sub-prime lenders have the most exposure. I
expect a housing correction due to the factors below in these areas, and
more so because after the next big hurricane season, people will want out of
the bigger coastal cities. Think New Orleans.

Many people sat around hopefully waiting on the insurance companies and then
the government to bail them out, and it hasn't happened and it won't because
there isn't enough money or will to do it. Next time, people will want to
get out earlier. I think we're living in the midst of mass denial, but as
the idea of Peak Oil and its implications takes hold (albeit slowly) and
converges with climate change as a perfect storm, things will change (albeit
slowly). The rate of change is debatable and defines the difference between
a slow evolutionary change and a cataclysmic change.

No gloom and doom here, just predictable patterns. If you live in the
smaller cities on higher ground, you will see a rush on the rural land.
We're already seeing it in the Southern Appalachian highlands and the
Cumberland Plateau. Here, land is moving up fast, and the problems are in
"services", such as water supply, police and fire, and mountain roads big
enough to drive a huge fire truck up into to protect the new subdivisions on
the mountains. We've had a fire or 2 here as well as the continent dries
out, so fire is a real concern. Many of the speculators are Florida
developers advertising to Miami residents. The developers are not stupid.
They stay at the party while the punch bowl is still around, but they know
what's coming down the pike.

Gene Monaco
Knoxville, TN