permaculture - [permaculture] Greywater

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: chauncey williams <chaunceyfree@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Greywater
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 21:58:38 -0700 (PDT)

I am doing a green remodel of an Airstream travel trailer I have been staying
in in the hills of Malibu, CA. It is located in a Mediterranean Climate,
Zone 10 I believe, dry summers and only slightly wetter winters.

Part of the project will be running the water used in the trailer for the
sink and shower out into a greywater system. I would like to run the water
from the trailer to a bed of plants, but should I have the water get filtered
first through some sand and gravel? Can plants be growing in the sand and
gravel? What sort of plants would work well for filtering the water in my
climate? Any other bits of advice to throw in?

Thanks for all the help in advance. Have a great day.

Chauncey