permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Looking for good examples of the use of berms and swales & definition of each

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Looking for good examples of the use of berms and swales & definition of each
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 02:54:05 -0400

Paul Cereghino wrote:
These are all 'common names' and refer as much to function as to structure.

Berm is a very broad term, a linear earthen feature above grade. The term berm is common in landscape architecture with the function of creating noise abatement or implied enclosure. Berm implies earthen structure...

While berm is an outie, swales are innies, A swale is a linear feature below grade... implies low gradient, water absorbtion function, ditch suggests the goal is drainage, suggests steeper walls. drain and ditch systems , roadside ditches, etc... berm, swale and ditch both imply human made, as opposed to stream, arroyo, gully, or more technically, alluvial channel.

I thought that was it. I keep thinking of treating a greensward, open field
connecting woods
garden or structures with a water impoundment where you might want to establish some kind of perennial or tree crop plantings for food, wildlife habitat, ornamentation or some kind of production. You would build a large swale across the grade and merge it on the upside with a berm with provision for overflow into the turn preceeding the water impoundment.

Curious to see if there is any divergence from these concepts. Sorry, no pictures. I am slowly designing a miniature ditch/berm/dam swale system for our place... I'll put it on the wiki when I get a chance.

How about a scan of your design, to scale?

Looked at your photo gallery. Is that you tearing up someone's hard won turf
inside the paddock
or is that your son? indentured serf? :-)

LL
--
Lawrence F. London, Jr.
Venaura Farm