permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Looking for good examples of the use of berms and swales & definition of each

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: lbsaltzman@aol.com
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Looking for good examples of the use of berms and swales & definition of each
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 10:27:30 -0400

I was just having a talk with an experienced organic farmer who lives about a
block from me in a neighborhood that has pottery grade clay soil.? At his
home, he only attempts perennial trees and bushes in heavy clay.? His farm
which is a few miles away is blessed with a more sandy loam.?I was coming to
the same conclusion and didn't have the courage of my convictions. I had
watched annual vegetables sulk and fail?in the heavy clay while fruit trees
have thrived. Interestingly the one other?crop that is thriving, that I would
never have guessed, is strawberries.?

I have tried endlessly piling compost and mulch on, planting deep rooted
pioneering species, and sticking long forks in the ground to open the soil
etc. etc. The surface remained nearly inpenetrable.? One year, as a small
experiment,?I double dug a small section and heavily amended with compost. I
got great production for a year, but the next year things returned to heavy
clay conditions and you could hardly see organic material in the soil.? So my
annual vegetables have moved to inexpensive half wine barrels filled with
lovely compost and a touch of soil and the abandoned growing areas will get
more foodbearing trees.

So, where do you plant your plants when you're using a berm in clay soil
(which we have)? On the tops of the berms? I'm presuming not in the
valleys, since that's where the water would collect??? And, being clay
soil, what is the recommended/most favorable type of planting for this clay
soil? Especially if you're talking about planting on the tops of the berms?
S&M