permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Looking for good examples of the use of berms and swales & definition of each

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Paul Cereghino <paul.cereghino@comcast.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Looking for good examples of the use of berms and swales & definition of each
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 23:16:59 -0700

These are all 'common names' and refer as much to function as to structure.

Berm is a very broad term, a linear earthen feature above grade. The term berm is common in landscape architecture with the function of creating noise abatement or implied enclosure. Berm implies earthen structure... "sugar levee" is local slang for a levee made of native material without rock to add stability (a berm like levee?).. Similar to berm is a dike, but dike implies that goal is to resist tidal inundation, where levee suggests riverine inundation, both have geotechnical functions and design implications, like dam.

While berm is an outie, swales are innies, A swale is a linear feature below grade... implies low gradient, water absorbtion function, ditch suggests the goal is drainage, suggests steeper walls. drain and ditch systems , roadside ditches, etc... berm, swale and ditch both imply human made, as opposed to stream, arroyo, gully, or more technically, alluvial channel. However some refer to natural levees formed by alluvial sediment deposition next to a channel. Ha ha is a ditch with the function of animal exclusion -- structure depends on the animal (guinea pig to elephant)
dam impounds surface water, has spillway etc.. a berm can be a dam, but not all dams are berms.

Curious to see if there is any divergence from these concepts. Sorry, no pictures. I am slowly designing a miniature ditch/berm/dam swale system for our place... I'll put it on the wiki when I get a chance.

Paul Cereghino

Lawrence F. London, Jr. wrote:

I'm looking for good examples of the use of berms and swales & definition of each.
- also how they differ from dams, ditches and ha ha's.

LL