permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Soil Carbon Sequestration

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Paul Cereghino <paul.cereghino@comcast.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Soil Carbon Sequestration
  • Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2007 10:48:28 -0700

Young, Anthony. 1997. Agroforestry for Soil Management. CAB International: New York, NW. ISBN 0851991890

I seem to recall he has some diagrams of carbon cycle rates. Young also wrote primarily about tropical systems. My recollection (basic biogeography... text is at work) is that in tropical systems temperature prevents accumulation of organic matter in soil, and the majority of the carbon pool is in a litter layer and standing biomass, which is why tillage based annual agriculture is so destructive in the tropics. In temperate systems you see accumulation of stable organic humus, particularly under anoxic soils where soil metabolism is very slow (truely organic soils occuring only in wetlands). So you would have a spatial pattern of carbon accumulation based on climate which drives both primary production and decomposition, soil hydrology that can increase primary production and decrease decomp. (with wetlands accumulating carbon), and management regime where tillage accelerates soil organic decomp by providing oxygen. In my climate, biomass accumulates as wood both above and below ground, with a massive carbon legacy in the form of heaps of sodden large woody debris.

The Rodale study compared continuous corn to a corn/soybean rotation:
"It is likely that the increased carbon storage in the [manure-based] system is partially due to the return of steer manure to the field. Compared with senescent-crop residues, a larger proportion of manure-derived carbon is retained in soil, probably because manure is already partly decomposed and contains a larger proportion of chemically recalcitrant organic compounds (8,9). On the other hand these studies did not find significant effects of types of plant species on long-term carbon equilibrium (1,8,9)."
http://www.rodaleinstitute.org/science/home.html

I would suggest that the alt. ag. methods resulted in a recovery of soil organic matter, but that regeneration to forest would have provided a greater rate. This 15 year experiment was completed in Pennsylvannia, USA, temperate cold winter, warm moist summer, and given the climate controls of all factors affecting carbon cycling I would be wary of extrapolating to other systems. Additionally they did not calculate the whole system carbon balance including fuel costs in transporting food to cows and back to fields, tillage, transport and end use of product. Finally the tables reflecting the data patterns are not provided, but you can buy a glossy version for only $14.95. I get annoyed by advocacy spin that reinterprets "science" to easily solve our little carbon problem, but I can see the allure.

Paul Cereghino

lbsaltzman@aol.com wrote:

Also checkout http://www.yeomansplow.com.au/index.htm?and read Yoeman's
numbers on carbon sequestration with keyline design. It is covered in detail
in the book Priority One available on the website.