permaculture - [permaculture] Soil Carbon Sequestration

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Charles de Matas" <cdematas@hotmail.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Soil Carbon Sequestration
  • Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2007 18:06:04 +0000

Increasing the organic matter content of soils has many benefits, but I don't think it can help in solving global climate change. In a book by Anthony Young he does some rough calculations on the amount of carbon that can be sequestered by increasing the organing matter in soils. Even if all available agricultural land were used for this, the amount of carbon stored would be very small compared to what is needed to offset burning of fossil fuels. So this should not be held up as a solution to climate change, but one should stress the other benefits of increasing organic matter.

Charles.

planet earth.

WEB VIDEO OF THE WEEK:
SOIL IS ONE SECRET SOLUTION TO GLOBAL WARMING
Can organic farming fight climate change? Yes. And we're not just talking about
food miles. Research from the Rodale Institute shows that sustainably-farmed
soil absorbs 30% more carbon than conventional agriculture, and switching our
farmland to organic would cut greenhouse emissions by 10% in the US (20% in
Canada and most of the rest of the world). For a concise

FREE pop-up blocking with the new MSN Toolbar - get it now! http://toolbar.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200415ave/direct/01/