permaculture - [permaculture] Soil Carbon Sequestration

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Charles de Matas" <cdematas@hotmail.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Soil Carbon Sequestration
  • Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2007 15:47:40 +0000

Okay - I'll try to find the book and give you a better idea of what he actually wrote. I think the book is "Agroforestry for Soil Management". I was quoting from memory which is always risky.
It would be nice if soil carbon sequestration could help in the problem of climate change. I think that scientists have recognized that no single tactic will be enough. They have listed about a dozen or so modalities (more efficient appliances, hybrid cars, solar and other renewable energies, energy efficient buildings, sequestration, etc.) where each one will take up a 'slice' of the carbon needed to be removed to offset burning of fossil fuels. Maybe soil carbon sequestration can help with a small slice, but I haven't seen enough to convince me that it will be a major factor in controlling CO2.

Charles.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Could you get a better reference on that book. The conclusions are contrary to a
number of studies and articles I have seen. I am curious to read how he got to
his conclusions.

Do a google search on carbon sequestration in the soil and you be amazed at the
number of studies and the amount of mainstream research being done. Here are
just a few references on carbon sequestration in the soil from that search:

http://edcintl.cr.usgs.gov/carbonoverview.html?
http://www.fao.org/ag/agL/agll/carbonsequestration/?
http://ohioline.osu.edu/aex-fact/pdf/0510.pdf?
http://www.eprida.com/hydro/soilseq.htm?