permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Benign Neglect

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: mIEKAL aND <dtv@mwt.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Benign Neglect
  • Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2007 11:07:59 -0500

Any idea what variety they are? Are they sweet or pie cherries?

~mIEKAL

If only the robins didn't eat most of my cherries....

On Jun 5, 2007, at 11:02 AM, lbsaltzman@aol.com wrote:

I buy some produce from a local fruitstand who deals with a lot of local organic farmers. They got in some incredible cherries and the owner of the stand told me the story connected with them. They come from an abandoned orchard. The current owner of the orchard ignores them and does absolutely nothing. He doesn't prune, weed, fertilize, or spray the trees. They are totally ignored. Once a year a crew comes in and picks the cherries. This has been going on for twelve years yet with no reduction in quality or the size of the crop. There may be a lesson here for a lot of conventional farmers who manage orchards.