permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Non-electric grain mills

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Kai Vido <kaivido@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Non-electric grain mills
  • Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 09:43:20 -0700 (PDT)

We use the "Diamant" mill that Lehman Hardware sells, and another large
mill, the "Atlas" made by Christy Hunt of England, which has been
discontinued. Neither are motorized, though the Diamant has a V-belt
pulley. Both were purchased in the 1980s from In-Tec Equipment of
Dayton, Ohio, though they stopped selling mills some time ago. Lehmans
took over the Diamant dealership and raised prices, and the Atlas were
apparently never a good seller for In-Tec.

We like both very much, and use the high-output Atlas for coarser
milling, cracking cereals etc., and the Diamant for finer flour. Three
to five minutes a day is all it takes to mill all we need for a family
of five, and it's good aerobic exercise because the mills both sport
large flywheels and a long handle for both hands. And, though pricey,
they are lifetime investments. I would recommend it to anyone who likes
ultra-fresh flour, cereals, cornmeal grits and so on.

By the way, if anyone out there needs new grinding plates for an Atlas
mill--only 40 of which were sold on this continent--we bought the
leftover inventory from In-Tec ten years ago and have plenty of plates.

Kai Vido