permaculture - Re: [permaculture] does squishing aphids attract aphid predators

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Marijana Lesar <marijana@kneja.hr>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] does squishing aphids attract aphid predators
  • Date: Sat, 12 May 2007 23:47:36 +0200

Hello,
i don't know the answer of the subject line, but i observed my sage that was really full with aphids. I left it untreated and just watched what was happening. First i saw ladybird larvaes eating the aphids (i tried to ad a picture, but my mail retourned), and two days later, when the sage began to bloom, no aphids where on the sage! i don't know what caused the aphids to disappear... heavy rain fall after a drought period, before the aphids disappear, maybe it washed them away, but the aphids still sucked another sage bush that didn't bloom after rain. Maybe the scent or something else of the sage flowers has a repelent effect on them. I saw also on other sages in the garden that the aphids were gone after they opened their flowers. This year we have realy problems with aphids and slugs.

See ya on IPC8!
Marijana