permaculture - Re: [permaculture] The Fed

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] The Fed
  • Date: Sat, 12 May 2007 05:42:11 -0400

Tommy Tolson wrote:
In /The Great Transformation/, Karl Polanyi says that the effect of the US Constitution was to "separate the people from power over their own economic life" (p. 233-34). The Fed, charged with US monetary policy, was/is nothing but an instrument in service to this end. IMO, it is not in our interests to "bring down" anything and leave a void. The lawyers who serve the rich will be on the spot as fast as James Baker III was in Florida to make arrangements for the Supremes to pull off the Republican coup in 2000, creating chaos in order to obscure regaining control over the people by whatever means it takes. Rather, our interests are served by nonviolently seizing legal power over our own economic lives, as the Eastern Europeans, Bolivians, Venezuelans, and Ecuadorians modeled for us. Until we do this, we can not stop the ecological destruction wrought by the free market. We in the US do not possess sufficient freedom to respond appropriately to our environment, i.e., to protect it from further harm. Until we do, the small group that is served by Dubya and the current wars (the rich) will continue their destruction of the biosphere that supports life on Earth.

Add the above (x) + (y), the following:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/6649169.stm
Last Updated: Saturday, 12 May 2007, 07:59 GMT 08:59 UK
Russia clinches gas pipeline deal BBC breaking news
Russia, Turkmenistan and Kazakhstan have agreed to build a new natural gas
pipeline around the Caspian Sea.
Russia's President Vladimir Putin announced the deal at a summit with Central
Asian leaders in Turkmenistan.
The agreement ensures Russia's access to Turkmenistan's gas, and is setback
to rival US and European Union plans.
They had hoped to pipe Turkmen gas across the Caspian sea, in order to reduce the EU's dependence on Russian-controlled energy.

And what do you get (=) ? (the new cold war)

While we worry about the scenario you describe, the (other) dictatorships take every advantage of every sign of weakness of the free world to further divide and polarize the global powers. Add China (and N Korea ?) and its military buildup (recent spy case - Chinospy steals silent sub technology) to the evil concoction and the resulting putrescence stinks to the depths of hell. And permaculture is to deal with this? and with such events as 9/11, the war in Iraq & Afganistan and the proposed merger of Monsanto and Delta Pineland and the like?

Of course it can and will, keep keeping on, despite the dismal outlook.

As I said many times before we need a quiet but persistent peaceful global movement, an Earth-spanning network of permaculture practioners who with their skills and knowledgebase create a network of independent, self-sufficient
people exchanging ideas, information, survival skills and appropriate
technology, all the while generating more interest
in permaculture and gaining more devotees to this practical art, perhaps as
described by Patrick:
Patrick McKown wrote:
> It almost sounds like 'permaculture' is some kind of 'silver bullet'? Some
fundamental bottom of
> the 'pyramid' foundation that permeates ideas and economies into some kind
of 'harmonization'. So
> how would a society such as here in the US look based on what you are
saying here, how would it
> change for the better and how would people be living their purpose in their
lives?

LL
--
Lawrence F. London, Jr.