permaculture - Re: [permaculture] The Fed

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Tommy Tolson <healinghawk@earthlink.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] The Fed
  • Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 17:04:14 -0500

In /The Great Transformation/, Karl Polanyi says that the effect of the US Constitution was to "separate the people from power over their own economic life" (p. 233-34). The Fed, charged with US monetary policy, was/is nothing but an instrument in service to this end. IMO, it is not in our interests to "bring down" anything and leave a void. The lawyers who serve the rich will be on the spot as fast as James Baker III was in Florida to make arrangements for the Supremes to pull off the Republican coup in 2000, creating chaos in order to obscure regaining control over the people by whatever means it takes. Rather, our interests are served by nonviolently seizing legal power over our own economic lives, as the Eastern Europeans, Bolivians, Venezuelans, and Ecuadorians modeled for us. Until we do this, we can not stop the ecological destruction wrought by the free market. We in the US do not possess sufficient freedom to respond appropriately to our environment, i.e., to protect it from further harm. Until we do, the small group that is served by Dubya and the current wars (the rich) will continue their destruction of the biosphere that supports life on Earth. This is why The Fed matters to permaculture and why permaculture is a threat to the rich who run the US. Act accordingly. The designers manual talks about organizing societies into ecological arrangements. Where is the sense in this if we do not have power over our own economic lives? Our spending floats the US economy but our spending is a small fraction of the total economic activity. The Walton family and Bill Gates may make more money per year than all permaculturalists combined. In Austin, some of the people have organized to avoid a 24-hour WalMart SuperCenter in their neighborhood. The local government (liberal by most US standards) favors WalMart. Enough said? Too much?

Smiles.
Tommy Tolson