permaculture - Re: [permaculture] gold and silver

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Loren Davidson <listmail@lorendavidson.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] gold and silver
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 19:06:03 -0800

At 8:08 AM -0800 1/12/07, Eric Kemp wrote:
as awful as it sounds......if things get that bad a loaded operable weapon will be most valuable.....has anyone mentioned that???

At least as long as the bullets hold out. :) I recommend, if you're going to include firearms in your apocalyptic calculations, that you also buy reloading equipment, know how to use it, and have a ready supply of gunpowder and suitable materials for bullets on hand.

I've heard it said that post-Collapse, if a person with a gun and a person with a chunk o' gold have an economic transaction, odds are that at the end of it, one person will have the gun *and* the gold.

I found it amusing that someone considers gold held somewhere by a third party to be a valid strategy. If the economy collapses and the telco net is out, how do you *get* your gold?

I tend to believe that trade-worthy skills are good things to have. I may be horrid at animal husbandry, but I know how to homebrew. Hootch will always be worth trading for.

And while I hedge my own bets a bit here and there, I don't believe that living in fear of the End of the World does anybody any good. Live the life you were born to live, find and follow your vision. If the end result of that vision is a premature demise, then at least you're dying in the process of doing what you're supposed to be.

Just a thought,

Loren
--
Loren Davidson listmail@lorendavidson.com