permaculture - Re: [permaculture] gold and silver

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Sean Maley <semaley@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] gold and silver
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 10:06:48 -0800 (PST)

Without enough oxygen, you'll be dead within minutes; without water, days;
without food, weeks. Emergency food supplies might extend life to a matter
of
months without adequate protection, a few years with protection. Survival
skills could add crucial years (who would kill the person that knew which
foods
were poisonous? Medicinal? Useful?). Totalitarian Agriculture brought upon
humanity an inadequate understanding of diet and nutrition leading to halving
life expectancy. The lifestyle we "enjoy" today requires extreme energy
inputs,
coming up just short of "primitive" life expectancy (after discarding infant
mortality cultural bias).

More dangerous than <energy | ecological |
global warming | water shortage | ...> induced economic collapse, would be
the continuation of totalitarian agriculture, especially foregoing the
infinite
growth we originally assumed. Parts of the world will be more horrifically
affected (in terms of agriculture) than others when the clock stops. Other
parts of the world will still have their clock ticking, thus moving
ecological
decline to the remaining non-desert regions.

Totalitarian Agriculture
requires a monetary exchange, as well as land ownership. Collecting gold
perpetuates Totalitarian Agriculture, as does trying to grab land and
emergency
supplies, but only for your family. At least with silver (in hand), one can
use
it for water filtration and other health issues, though not a requirement.
If
we are to contemplate a sustainable future, this must include a paradigm that
excludes monetary systems, except as a short term tool to turn the snake onto
itself. There won't be planes and tanks coming your way; coal can keep the
guns
coming for hundreds of years. Since there will be little to defend after the
trees are gone, we have precious time left to find a way to turn that snake
onto
itself. This window on the internet will be our last best hope to
orchestrate
such a paradigm shift.

-Sean.