permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Re Wood Ashes as a soil amendment

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: cricket@savingourseed.org
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Re Wood Ashes as a soil amendment
  • Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2006 13:04:00 -0800 (PST)

I have a very good friend who was a neighbor of mine about 12 years ago
when I was planting a 4 acre pumpkin patch. He is an old farmer, and he
told me that when he was young, an old farmer told him to mix one double
fist full of hard wood ash in every pumpkin hill and then side dress each
plant with a single fist full again when the sixth leaves are the size of
your hand. The goal of this was to deter squash vine borers, and it is my
strong anecdotal impression that it works well; I have never lost more
than a plant or two to them when I followed this prescription.

Good luck,

Cricket