permaculture - Re: [permaculture] database, wiki, blogs, forums, etc

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: negiliblek <negiliblek@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] database, wiki, blogs, forums, etc
  • Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 18:16:51 -0800 (PST)

Paul Cereghino wrote:

>... -- but don't know much about
>RDB... what about something more >conceptual like:
>tbl_element: (element_id, >element_name, element_family (lookup),
>tbl_elementattribute_link (element_id, >attribute_id)
>tbl_attribute (attribute_id)
>tbl_attribute linkage >attribute1_id, .attribute2_id, l

I'd came to the same conclusion: conceptual tables that include what you're
calling an element table, an input output table, and a project table.

...if one chooses to see more detailed technical information on a project,
the project table will point to a set of "specialty tables" like the ones I
first posted.

>processes (element does some function/work/process)
>outputs (element produces output)
>contraints (element doesn't function in presence of condition)

-thanks to your input, I'm going to add contraints and processes to the three
concept tables (now was your input endothermic or exothermic? :] ).

And you've just given me a problem to solve:

>what if elements have different attributes based
>on climate?! You could have biome independant attributes and biome
>dependant attributes or you could just qualify linkages

>Y'know... even just developing the
>element input/output analysis
>collectively would have tremendous value... and that could be done by
>simply aggressively structuring an existing Wiki.

which three (or more) existing Wiki's have the soundest, technical
information? {oh am I ever asking for a holy war now} But really, I want
everyone's opinion on which Wiki site(s) they'd use if they were about to
start a major project on their own property?

Keep the ideas coming even if you're not sure what the heck a RDB is; give me
another week before I post the conceptual tables though.

negiliblek