permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Wood Ashes

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Norris Thomlinson <scrub@corrupt.net>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Wood Ashes
  • Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 16:19:42 -0500 (EST)

Hi Scott-

Anyone know of any uses for wood ashes?? Besides lye soap and used to sweeten or alkalinize the soil.

I've come across references to use of wood ash lye in preparing corn, to prevent the vitamin deficiencies caused by a diet high in corn. It's the same idea as using lime with the corn--but wood ash (especially or maybe only? from hard woods) is another way to process it. The wood ash lye is created by leaching water through the ashes. I don't know whether or not the process is identical to that for preparing lye for soap.

Hope that helps!

Norris Thomlinson