permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Wood Ashes as a soil amendment

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: lbsaltzman@aol.com
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Wood Ashes as a soil amendment
  • Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 12:07:45 -0500

I suppose many variables come into play, but if wood ash killed worms
California would be worm free. The native Californian Indians burned
massively and regularly generating a significant amount of ash. Many areas
were burned yearly and few areas went beyond five years. I just finished a
brilliant book by an ethno-ecologist a woman named M. Kat Anderson from U.C.
Davis. The book is called Tending the Wild. It is an in depth look at the
horticultural and animal management practices of the native peoples of
California. Burning was one of the their favorite techniques for
interrupting succession and increasing the biodiversity of plants that were
useful to them and to the animals that were also useful to the people. Can't
recommend this book to highly.