permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Looking for products...laundry balls

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: KNat <knat@sprintmail.com>
  • To: evansdk@earthlink.net, permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Looking for products...laundry balls
  • Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 17:02:12 -0600

Kathy Evans wrote:
What is a laundry ball and how well do they work and where could I get
some? Thank you. And regarding compostable dinner plates....what a joy it
was in India to see stacks of "paper plates" for sale for a few rupees that
were really banana leaves mashed down, pressed in some kind of mold and cut
out. Then you throw your plate on the ground and cows eat it. Things have
changed (a la the introduction of plastic), but there are still such
plates, cups, and bowls.
If anyone can source them, let us know. The simple leaf plates I found needed fumigation and were only decorative by the time they were in the states, so we need a grower (hothouse banana leaves?) I question some of the "safe" additives in compostable plates, to avoid bug infestation in storage or early biodegrading. But we currently use a type of compostable plates and bowls because we have health codes that are being politically applied and forcing us to disposables when we serve the students. Bowls and corn starch utensils do not break down well even in worm bins. Unbleached paper made in standard process would probably do better, even lightly waxed.
For everyday, we like lightweight but solid unbreakable washables in washable kit bags to have each student have their own portable preparation. Some classes have made their own bowls and spoons from wood but the officials freak at seeing them. Kids like Wrap-n-Mats which are placemats. But we can't "serve" onto them. So far, we can "share" when the adults are there, so it is fun to have a schoolwide function.When someone calls food, the children run to their family basket for plates and utensils. One day....
I studied laundry balls awhile back and another lister might be more current. In front loaders several brands were good but the real trick was appropriate enzymes on spots first, regardless of brand. No significance between expensive and cheap versions. I'd support a distribution stream of choice. In toploaders none impressed me. In the winter we use a drier and turn the heat and humidity inside. The balls that can also dry and fluff up loads are nice then (but tennis balls work too.)

Kathyann