permaculture - [permaculture] Another poll

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Keith Johnson <keithdj@mindspring.com>
  • To: Permaculture ibiblio <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>, openpermaculture <permaculture@openpermaculture.org>, BPG <bloomingtonpermacultureguild@lists.riseup.net>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Another poll
  • Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 12:16:48 -0400

We recently asked the 300+ members in the audience at the Peak Oil Conference in Yellow Springs, Ohio, "How many of you are actively gardening?" The total was around 90%. We were impressed. Amazing what folks will do when motivated, eh?

So, I was wondering what kind of percentages are represented by these lists?

With 700ish on ibiblio and however many on Open Oc I'm guessing that the numbers would be at least 60-70%.

I'm especially interested in hearing from those who aren't gardening, what their circumstances are, and why not (?).

As long as I'm asking questions, I might as well add a few more:

How many of you are landless (i.e. not owners of land or gardenable property)? Does this stop you from gardening?

How many are actively creating complex perennial polycultures?

How many aquaculturists?

How many are still waiting to do these things?

How many are growing for market or trade? What are your principle limiting factors?

How many in the nursery trade?

How many landscapers?

How many designer / consultants?

Can these questions be answered and quantified in a forum like this?

How many use rock dusts as fertility enhancers (for the garden)?

--
Keith Johnson
Permaculture Activist Magazine