permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Growing Hops

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Kate Halstead" <rockyprairie@earthlink.net>
  • To: "'permaculture'" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Growing Hops
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 15:12:19 -0700

A bit more detail on hops. Don't grow male plants if you are looking to use
the hops. The female strobiles are the only part used in beer or for
medicinal purposes. With male plants around, the females set seed and render
the strobiles worthless. Also makes it nigh on impossible to get rid of them
once they spread seed. To make sure you have all-female plants either buy
roots from a reputable source or when starting from seed, rogue out the
males as soon as they make themselves apparent.

Hops are easy to contain within a finite area if you use some sort of
significant boundary device. I cut the bottoms out of a couple 10 gallon
buckets, sunk them in the ground, planted the hops inside and after 6 years
they still have not escaped the enforced boundary.

Height can be a problem. Traditional hop yards are 20-25' in height using
two-three strands of twine from each mound, attached to a tight wire mounted
from the tops of the poles. To harvest, cut the twine/plant off top and
bottom, bundle in an old sheet, and start harvesting the clumps of
strobiles. To dry I use a food dryer set on low. This seems to retain the
best flavor/color/active ingredients. I then store them in the freezer till
use.

Caveat from my husband: There is a phytoestrogen compound in hops that can
affect men (and some women) quite a bit. After a couple hours using bare
hands to harvest the first time, he found himself feeling like he'd been fed
a heavy dose of caffeine or other stimulant--racing heart, etc. Doesn't seem
to affect me that way though some women report it accelerates the start of
menses.

If you are looking for another use for hops, they make an excellent shade
plant. My grandmother always had a plant on the hot sunny, south side of the
house. Covered it completely each summer, keeping the temp in those rooms at
a tolerable level.

Kate