permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Growing Hops

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Heide Ciplin" <cial@on.aibn.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Growing Hops
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 15:30:40 -0400

Hello,

I have had hops growing up an old hydro pole (no longer attached to
electricity) in very heavy clay soil. They are very vigourous climbers so a
very tall support is required. They spread aggressively and unless they are
grown in an area where they can be contained can become invasive. I have
found it difficult to grow anything within a couple of metres of them
because of the young hop plants sprouting up everywhere. Both male and female
plants are required and of course, the hops are only produced on the females.
The main stems die back here in southwestern Ontario, Canada but resprout
again from the ground in the spring. I understand that borers are sometimes a
problem and powdery and downy mildew but haven't had any problems in their
so-far six year lifespan. Buying healthy plants free of mildew in the first
place is a good idea. They are a plant probably for those who have uses for
the hops because from an ornamental point of view, they are non-native and
don't have many attractions even though the three (or more) lobes add
interest; however when the hops are ripening which they seem to do in great
profusion, it is quite a nice view.

Heide Ciplin