permaculture - [permaculture] Callout for Coder or Technology for Permaculture Assoc Britain Web Development

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Niels Corfield <mudguard@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Callout for Coder or Technology for Permaculture Assoc Britain Web Development
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 10:47:21 +0100

Hi All,

Further to the posting on the list regarding online permaculture designs,
I want to take this opportunity to put a request on to the list regarding web technologies.
The Permaculture Association Britain is looking to expand/enhance its web-presence by offering a more sophisticated suite of technologies to the International Permaculture community.
The site, permaculture.org.uk, is already the top listing in a Google.co.uk search and gets plenty of hits.

However I am keen to see the technologies offered by the site being expanded considerably.

With three key goals:

1. Increasing member contribution. Moving to a largely member-driven
content. Providing fully-featured personal/project web-presence
hosting services.
2. Embedded delicious-style Tagged database retrieval technology
throughout the site. Possible opensource technologies include:
Scuttle.org
3. Image hosting. Obviously we would like to have something as slick
as Flickr integrated into the site but at the very least I want to
see at least the basic functionality with technologies for
uploading directly from members PC/Macs. Possible technologies:
Gallery 2, Coppermine (as used by Geoff Lawton).

If anyone has an opinion on any of these technologies or would like to input in the design or consultation phase they are most welcome.
We are planning to have at least one session on consultation at this years Convergence http://www.permaculture.org.uk/mm.asp?mmfile=conv2006

What is the real overall key outcome is to have a fully-featured free, or donation-based, portal for serious permies, designers et al, to have a good-looking web-presence and to foster the kind of online community that yahoogroups, delicious and Flickr already do.
All based around /our/ own code/, /by that i mean the whole international community.

I hope that these goals will overlap with some of yours own personal/work/activist agendas and that it can become a reality.

Those that wish to get involved, email me, or office@permaculture.org.uk.

All the Best,
Niels Corfield

PS For those interested I have set up a Flickr permaculture group: http://www.flickr.com/groups/18846265@N00/