permaculture - [permaculture] Is it really organic???

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Farmer Greg <FarmerGreg@UrbanFarm.org>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>, permaculture@openpermaculture.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Is it really organic???
  • Date: Sun, 21 May 2006 15:48:14 -0700

All,

I was just asked the following question and although I have wondered this myself I don't have an answer for her. Any ideas?

Lately, I have been seeing produce labeled "organic" from Mexico and Chile (predominantly). Realizing that the U.S. government is very lax in policing produce in the states and imported, unlike meats, do you know if there are any guarantees the produce from other countries is, in fact, organic?

Greg
--

The Urban Farm
Growing good food