permaculture - [permaculture] Deer fencing

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: marina michahelles <marina_bink@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Deer fencing
  • Date: Tue, 9 May 2006 06:59:17 -0700 (PDT)

Hello,
I am sorry if this is redundant, as I know that you had a
conversation about deer fences earlier this year... But I've only
just joined.

I was planning on putting a double-row fence around my veggie
production, but as this is quite expensive despite the posts being
cut on my land, and requires galvanized materials (not footprint
friendly), I am interested in hearing about alternative (planted?)
deer fences.

One solution is to reintroduce wolves, but the state of NY is
dead-set against that for the moment (though coyotes are coming
back). Ducks don't seem do a good job at scaring off the deer, while
they do help with slugs. The secret potion of rosemary and minty
essences is prohibitively expensive on the larger-scale...

Any suggestion would be appreciated.
Thanks!
Marina