permaculture - Re: [permaculture] agroforestry discussion list

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] agroforestry discussion list
  • Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2006 00:54:12 -0500

Marimike6@cs.com wrote:

As always, proceed cautiously, first do no harm, etc. It's easier to plant asparagus than it is to eradicate it. The same goes for wisteria and many other desirable introductions. In the South there are no statues in honor of Mr Johnson (who introduced Johnson grass).

I will erect one for him and for Kud Zu the Taiwanese horticulturist who
became enamored of the American landscape
and brought the gift of "Many Leaves, Vines and Roots" to the South during
one of his visits early in the past century.

Johnson Grass and Kudzu, Eleagnus and Red Cedar are wonderful plants of great
economic value for skilled farmers to use.

Ask me how I have managed to mostly remove Johnson Grass, Bermuda Grass,
Pennsylvania Smartweed, crabgrass,
daisies, ragweed and goldenrod, thorny pigweed, Carolina horse nettle, curly
dock, amaranth, lambs quarters,
ryegrass, fescue grass, wild mustard, a mystery weed and a few others from
about 4 acres now covered with mixed greens
and a variety of vegetable cash crops.

Johnson Grass and Kudzu are excellent forage crops. I've never seen them
planted together but maybe they could coexist.
Maybe someone could breed a Kudzu variety with more foliage and a shallower,
smaller root/tuber system.